Thursday, July 12, 2012

Walking, Walking Everywhere!

I can honestly say that I saw Seattle today!  Bekah, four other couch surfers, and I took the ferry into the city this morning and we totally conquered it!  We started in Pike's Place Market, and ended at the troll under the Fremont bridge.... Gotta love the diversity that Seattle has to offer!  (I also love how we can just do things with the other surfers!  That's got to be the best part about there being so many of us staying with the same hosts because we're like a makeshift family.  I mean seriously, I met these people last night, and we're just spending the day together in the city.  It's awesome!  It's almost like hanging out with siblings. :)

Pike's Place was awesome just because it was so huge!  I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it certainly was not the open air market/bazar/food court that we discovered!  The very first thing we saw was a 'Fresh Fish' sign that did not lie!  Some of the shrimp was literally still flopping around!  i wasn't quite sure what I was supposed to do with that, so I took a picture and moved on to the next booth.

This one had chocolate flavored pasta!  I mean, what are you supposed to do with that stuff?!!  I ended up buying some sweet red onion flavored pasta, and Bekah and I are going to cook it for Christine and Nate once we get to Holland :D  I'm super excited for that!

We spent several hours at Pike's Market, and then we went to the home of the 'best macaroni in the world.'  Haha honestly, I prefer Kraft, but hey not everyone can appreciate fine cheese preservatives as well as me.  I have to be sensitive of those who don't have quite as fine a palate ;)

The restaurant was really cool though because as we sat and ate our pasta, we could watch the people making the cheese curds!  They were slicing it and stacking it.... basically making a fortress out of cheese!  Only in America right??

After we ate, a few people left our group and the rest of us went on this Underground Tour.  I had absolutely no idea what to expect, but I was kind of picturing a bus tour around an underground Atlantis or something.  I couldn't have been more wrong!  It turned out to be a walking tour of Seattle that contained brief exertions underneath the city to see the old buildings.  It was pretty weird, but apparently Seattle was built right at sea level so they had so many issues (especially with sewage) that they had to rebuild the city on top of the other buildings just so things didn't get backed up as much.  It was a very interesting tour, but I wouldn't pay to go on it again. (Even though the tour guide told some really great jokes!)

Our group shrank again after the tour, and it was me and two other suffers.  We had one thing left on our itinerary, and that was seeing the troll under the Fremont Bridge.  Yes, there is an artist district just outside of Seattle, and they built a troll underneath one of their bridges.  Again, I had absolutely no clue what to expect, and again I was delighted by what I found!  The troll was HUGE and we got to climb up on him and take pictures and be goofy.  It was wonderful!  I'm so excited to share those pictures with you :D

It's really late and Bekah and I have to leave super early in order to make it to the food pantry on time tomorrow, so that's going to be all for now :D  Goodnight!

Rebekah

The SUPER fresh shrimp


CHEESE CURDS
*not from Wisconsin*

Our tour guide standing underneath a "skylight" in old Seattle which was
technically part of the sidewalk in modern Seattle!  So weird!

Speaking of weird... here's the troll under the Fremont Bridge!













2 comments:

  1. I concur with your take on the underground Seattle tour... I also thought it was interesting, but not worth repeating...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely! When did you take the tour?

    ReplyDelete