Wednesday, June 27, 2012


When It Hits You

Today's adventure started in the San Diego Zoo, went through the theater, and finished at a locally famous restaurant, Hob Nob Hill!  Let's start with the zoo :)

I've been to several zoo's in my life, but none quite as elaborate as the San Diego Zoo.  As soon as Bekah and I walked in, we took the skytram (yeah, they have a skytram!) across the zoo and to the Polar Bear exhibit.  I've never been particularly crazy about polar bears, but I really liked these.  This is probably because they were actually swimming and playing instead of just laying around trying to cool off.  (Apparently the polar bears are able to thrive in California because the zookeepers cut all the fat out of their diets and gave them carrots to eat instead.  This switch helped their coats to thin out so the bears don't overheat... gotta love tour guides who actually know what they're talking about!)

Another thing this tour guide told us was that Disney Studios actually went out to the San Diego Zoo to study their meerkats in order to draw Timon from the Lion King!  Yeah that's right, I got to see the REAL Timon!  One other thing, you know all of Doctor Suses' funny plant that he drew in his books?  He drew the plants that he saw at the San Diego Zoo right into his books! Those funky trees really do exist!

Once we had finished at the zoo, we rode the bus downtown and decided to catch a movie.  We saw Disney's Brave which was pretty good.  It was fun to be a little bit spontaneous and just chill out for a few hours.

After Brave, we took the bus a little farther downtown to Hob Nob Hill, a restaurant which was exciting to go to because it was featured on the Food Networks' Diner's, Drive-In's, and Dives (My favorite foodie show!) a while back.  Bekah and I got their famous dish, chicken and dumplings, and believe it or not, it really was delicious!  They had a picture of Guy (the shows host) on the wall at the restaurant and I took a picture with him.  It was my first celeb picture... how very fitting that it should happen in California ;)

I had never been to California before Bekah and I started this trip, and since I got on my first train last Thursday morning, I've been able to experience so many new things.   I've enjoyed each day without really realizing how special what I'm doing actually is.  While Bekah and I were walking around the zoo today, it just hit me.  I suddenly realized that I'm on an amazing adventure!  I realized that I'm not just passing through California, I'm living in it!  I've been walking the streets, riding the buses, meeting the people, seeing the sights, eating the food, and loving every moment!

I don't want to take this trip for granted.  That's one reason that I'm thankful my dad asked me if I would write a blog during the trip.  It forces me to think about each day and ask myself what I'm getting out of it, what I'm learning, and what I can take into the next day with me.  I think today's lesson is to actually live life instead of working myself into ruts with routines.  I have learned how to accomplish this, and it's very simple!  All I have to do is try something new each day, and experiencing life right where I am—wherever that may be!


Rebekah














1 comment:

  1. I love the comment "actually live life instead of working myself into ruts with routine". A wonderful way to appreciate the uniqueness of each day. Enjoy your amazing adventure.

    ReplyDelete