Thursday, February 6, 2014

Coffee Shops and Thoughts on Submission


May I just start this post by stating once again how much I love Philly???  Haha it’s amazing.  I woke up at 5 this morning and couldn’t go back to sleep, so I got up, went to the gym, came home and showered/changed, and now I’m sitting in this fantastic little coffee shop that’s like half a block from my apartment.  It’s called Cake and the Beanstalk, and it’s literally the cutest café around!  They have this little sunroom that is filled with several mismatched tables and chairs that are all painted in different ways… one chair has a scene from Charlottes’ Web on it.  Others have Where the Wild Things Are, Goodnight Moon, and other really cute scenes or sayings.  The atmosphere here is so fun and relaxing!  Also, there’s a table with a bucket of legos.  Yeah, I KNOW! Haha I have definitely spent my fair share of time playing with those…. #noguilt:)

Another great thing about Philly is that it is now the city in which I am employed!  (Technically speaking anyway… I’m an unpaid intern, but that’s ok!  Let me rephrase that: I’M AN UNPAID INTERN!!! Haha I’m super pumped.)  I’ll be working in a consulting firm that specializes in effective leadership training and research.  I don’t know all that I’ll have the opportunity to do, but I’ll be sure to post updates as I know more. I start on Monday :D

Speaking of starting new things.  It’s time for me to start the next Spiritual discipline in my Big Challenge.  Before I tell you what I will be focusing on though, here’s how submission went in January:

January was very eye opening for me.  Not particularly in a good way, but it revealed a myth that I had been feeding to myself, which is really good to know.  I had always thought that the reason I got behind in/stopped doing Bible study was because I was so busy that I literally didn't have time for it.  However, after being home on Christmas break and then in Philly where (while I was busy with house hunting and interviews) I had a pretty substantial amount of free time, I noticed that I was committing roughly the same amount of time to Bible study that I was when I was at school and hardly had time to breathe.  That was definitely sobering to realize that it wasn't necessarily business but actually laziness/lack of initiative that kept me from developing my relationship with God.

After realizing this, I spent a few days sulking and just basically throwing my hands in the air and proclaiming that I didn't care.  Shortly after that however, I saw how stupid I was being.  I knew that I was certainly not ok with putting my relationship with God on the back burner.  I had never actually stopped doing my Bible study or prayer time (except for those few days), but my heart hadn't been in it.  

I started praying earnestly again and really focusing in on what I was reading for the day.  I want to start being more intentional in my study/prayer time... maybe read my way through a devotional or something.  So while I was supposed to be practicing submission, I don't know if I actually did or not.  God didn't let me down though.  If all I learned was that I can't blame my schedule for my lack of time spent with God and that I need to fight to make it a part of my day whether I'm busy or not, than I'm really glad to have learned that.  I need to keep my focus on God though and maybe have a much more tangible thing to guide my time with Him, especially now that I'm trying to really and honestly get into the swing of things.  

I think I will focus on the discipline of study this month (and maybe next month if need be).  I want to read my way through a devotional so that I can have a physical goal to meet every day.  I think that would be helpful.  I also want to deepen my understanding of God's love, commands, and promises because I feel like I disregard them far too easily sometimes.  I want them to become so precious to me that I can't bear to not spend time soaking them in every day.  I don't know if that is possible, but I like to think that it is.  

I would very much appreciate your prayers and encouragement as I focus on the discipline of study.  Even though I no longer believe that the sole cause of my slacking was due to business, I know that that does play a part in it.  As I noted at the beginning of this post, I’m starting my internship on Monday.  I’m really excited about that, but I know that it will be way too easy to slip back into my old habits.  I don’t want that to happen, so I am asking/giving you all permission to check up on me if you would like :) I would really appreciate it, and trust me, I won’t take it as nagging.

Also, if anyone knows a really good Beth Moore study, I would love to start one soon.  I’ve never done a Beth Moore study, but I was at a conference where she spoke last year, and I think I would learn a lot from her perspective!   

Thanks for reading, and thanks for your support.  Hopefully I will have some awesome things to share next month! 

Rebekah

            

2 comments:

  1. Glad that you have accepted the challenge to change your daily schedule. Praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try Beth Moore's Breaking Free (I did this one) or Esther ( I have not done this one).

    ReplyDelete