Monday, November 11, 2013

Compelling.  An InterVarsity conference I've gone to for the past three years.  Each year I leave with convictions about ways that I want to strengthen my faith and make it more real and tangible in my life. My intentions were never followed by action following freshman year, never bore the desired fruit sophomore year, and this year...well let's just say I'm hoping that the saying "third times the charm" is applicable here!

This year I took the Conformed to His Likeness track.  It's all about spiritual disciplines and how to use them to exercise your faith.  I went into the track with little to no understanding about these disciplines, and was amazed by all that I learned!

For example, I didn't really know what the point of meditation was.  I thought that it was the act of trying to push literally EVERYTHING from your mind.  As a female and a type A personality, I knew this would be a losing battle before I began.  I also was never able to understand what the point of fasting was.  I thought people used it as a gimmick to get what they wanted.  Kind of like a "hey God, so I'm not sure if you noticed or not, but I haven't eaten for a few days, and I was wondering if you could please pay extra special attention to what I'm asking for....because, you know, I'm not eating for you!"  That just never sat well with me, and now I know that my perception of fasting couldn't have been further from the truth.

Before we left Compelling, we were given the opportunity to participate in the "Big Challenge", which is a year long application of the 12 spiritual disciplines that we studied at the conference.  Each month is dedicated to one of the 12 disciplines: meditation, prayer, fasting, study, confession, worship, guidance, celebration, simplicity, solitude, submission, and service.  I decided that even though it will be difficult and I'm sure I will miss days along the way, I want to do it.  I want to grow in my faith, and I want to start now.  It's long overdue.

Because I don't want to catch myself trying do this challenge in my own strength, I've decided to start with the discipline of prayer.  I want to focus on God right from the start, and make sure that I'm depending on Him for strength, motivation, and direction over the course of this challenge.  I'm not sure exactly how I will be practicing this discipline beyond just...praying, so studying up on it will be the first step.


I will most likely post at the end of each month and talk about which discipline I did, what I experienced (challenges and triumphs), and how I observed God working over the course of that discipline.  Please pray for me when you think of it.  I know that I will need all the prayer power I can get over the course of this challenge!


So, here we are—November 11, 2013—day one of the Big Challenge.  Here I go :)

Rebekah


Jesus, please guide me as I start this challenge.  Please prepare me to learn more about you, and meet with me daily as I learn how to glorify you in the way that I practice my faith.  Thank you for the opportunity, and thank you for those who have committed to keeping me encouraged and accountable along the way.  Thank you for loving me and wanting to meet with me.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I will be praying for you. This is a wonderful goal for the year/lifetime!

    ReplyDelete